Configure Firewall Software
ISY framework is based on publish/subscribe and, therefore, for the Admin Console subscribes to ISY's events and ISY publishes events, in real-time, to the Admin Console. This process requires the computer on which the Admin Console is running to allow traffic from known ISYs. Some firewall software might consider this a threat and thus stop ISY from publishing events to the Admin Console. In such cases:
- Admin Console might consider ISY offline and thus prompt for credentials in perpetuity
- Status updates are not published to the Admin Console in real-time
Most firewall software are more lenient with HTTPS/secure traffic. Before configuring any firewall settings, you might want to try connecting to ISY using HTTPS:
- Bring up the ISY Finder by using the ISY994 icon on your desktop (installed by this link)
- Login to your ISY
- Bring ISY Finder to the foreground (it's behind the Admin Console)
- Click on the add button
- Enter the IP address:Port of your ISY but, instead, prefix with https. For instance, if your ISY's IP address is 192.168.0.26 and HTTPS Port for your ISY is 8226 (Admin Console | Configuration | Network), then enter https://192.168.0.26:8226
- Close the Admin Console
- Restart the Admin Console using the icon on your desktop, in ISY Finder, double click the https address
In most cases, if you add ISY to the Trusted Zone or Exclusion List, all should be fine. Alas, there are certain firewall software which may require a little more configuration:
- Open Avast and select -- Settings
- Select -- Active Protection
- Select -- Web Shield "cog wheel"
- Under enable Web Scanning select the check box -- "Scan traffic from well-known browser processes only"
(Thanks to Mr. John Miller)
To add a website to the Trusted URLs list:
- Open Kaspersky.
- Click on 'Settings'.
- Click on 'Protection' on the left.
- Click on 'Web Ant-Virus' on the right.
- Click on 'Advanced Settings'.
- Click on 'Configure trusted web pages'.
- Click on the 'Add' button.
- Enter the web address in the same format as shown: http://*.example.com/*
- Select 'Active'.
- Click on the 'Add' button.
- If needed, repeat the process for additional sites.
- Close the 'Trusted web pages' window.
- Click the Back arrow in the upper left three times to return to the main window.
- Retry the web site. If it does not work, close all open web browsers and reopen the site.
The Windows firewall tried to auto configure itself. There may be a time when you need to set it for the ISY.
This process is in the works.
It is suggested that you set the IP address that you used above as a static IP address on your DHCP server for your "My Lighting". Otherwise, you may find yourself chasing after an allusive IP address.
- Disable Zone Alarm
- Get your ISY IP address
- If you opened your ISY for this step close it when your done
- Add the ISY to your Zone Alarm Trusted Zone
- Open the Zone Alarm Security Suite Control Center
- Select "Firewall" from the left hand column, open the "Zones" tab
- Select "Add >>" to add a new device (My Lighting) to your Trusted Zone
- Type in the name of the device, "My Lighting" and it's IP address
- An example such as 192.168.0.102 which is the address of my "My Lighting" on my network
- Re-enable Zone Alarm
See the forum topic Router, Firewall and Anti-virus Issues
- How-To Guide - Special devices, scenes, programming, and more.